Monday, February 21, 2011

Apple Butter update

I forgot to let you know in the last post how it worked out.

The first lot wasn't so good. I added half the amount of sugar recommended in an American recipe figuring I could add more to taste and it ended up so flippin' sweet that I will have to make pies with it with rhubarb or something else that's tart to balance it out.

The second lot was a lot better. I've only added a little sugar and some spices. I have still more apples to go but it's honestly a good way to use them up. Cut off the bad bits and peel and core them. Shove them in the slow cooker at night and in the morning sterilise the jars (30 minutes at 150° ) mouli out the lumps and pour it in. Easy.

I also was given some lemons in the last delivery so I turned it into lemon honey and gave a jar back to the apple donors in thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment