Sunday, February 20, 2011

Maybe I should keep my own cattle

Another grocery shop today. Yes I know! Already!
I would love to say that it was cheap but actually it was just over $200. BUT we did come home with a lot.

For example, we didn't need any meat but there were 4 mince packs on clearance. Down from $7/pack to $2.70. Since we have a freezer I grabbed them. There was also a bbq sausage and steak pack and a couple of packs of sausages also heavily reduced. So in they went too. Our freezer hasn't ever looked so healthy.

And then there was the toothbrushes (haven't figured out how to make my own ones of those) and there was a great special on cheese this week. Have you checked the best before dates on cheese before? This one was marked with a best before Sept 2011. I'm pretty sure I can eat it before then :) So in short, I stockpiled on things that were cheap.

So I felt a little smug as I unpacked our stacks of groceries into our pantry, fridge and freezer. Unfortunately that was short lived as I realised we had run out of nappies. Doh!

Also I looked at the price of powdered vs. fresh milk. Supermarket brand trim milk that makes 10 litres sells at a regular price of $9.99. So $1/litre instead of $1.77/litre for supermarket brand ready made stuff. I'm going to keep checking to see if that brand, or trusty Anchor brand goes on special and then buy that. I have the time to make up milk as we use it and really there is no difference at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment