Friday, February 4, 2011

Out of control

Right now I'm breaking the cardinal rule of being thrifty - doing heaps of little shops. It's partly because we live within walking distance of the local supermarket and partly because our food is coming from several different sources (garden, foodbox, supermarket, butcher). But the end result is at the moment I don't have a good idea of what our weekly shop is costing. Not knowing is making me quite unsettled and it's something we're going to have to keep tabs on. After all how can I get to the end goal if I don't even know where the starting line is?

On the plus side I'm also breaking the rules when it comes to cooking. Recipes are getting new additions depending on what is in the pantry and fridge. Tonight's dinner for example is a tuna and sweetcorn quiche but it also has mushrooms and capsicum added. It's pretty tame in comparison to some of the experiments. Luckily my family loves me enough to try things (and my kids are picky anyway).

We're seriously considering switching from fresh milk to powdered milk. The savings will be quite a bit. My friend Bridie (see the link to her blog on the right) has been doing this for a long time and I know it makes sense. It's not the taste putting me off - it's making up the milk all the time. Curse my family of tea and milo drinkers!

No comments:

Post a Comment