Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Birthdays and South East Asia

Today is my best friend's birthday and the celebration at her house tonight is a potluck dinner with a South East Asian theme.

Happily my bestie is also doing her level best to live cheaply (aren't we all) which seems to be a fundamental requirement when you work in Hospitality like she does. So the South East Asian potluck was her way of getting a Thai dinner party without the Thai restaurant price tag.

Amazingly I had all the ingredients for the dish I decided to make apart from the kumara so currently my slow cooker is busy cooking curried coconut chickpeas and kumara. (thanks Alison).

Unfortunately I do have to go out to the shops later to get her birthday present but I'm determined to get my retail fixes from 'must buys'. Plus I've already decided what I'm going to get her online so I won't be tempted to get anything else - well that's the theory anyway.

Now off to place my Foodbox order. We get the singles fruit and vege and at $33 it does our small family well and works out the same or cheaper than the local supermarkets with the added benefit of the quality being top notch.


2 comments:

  1. Do you think the Foodbox is worth getting even though you grow some of your vegetables? And would it still be cheaper or the same than shopping at a Fruitworld?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi
    I've shopped a few times at Fruitworld and generally I think Foodbox is cheaper but it does depend a bit on what you buy. I haven't always been the sharpest shopper in the past.
    The good thing about Foodbox is that you can ask them to substitute more of one thing for another (for example this week I asked them to give us more apples and no potatoes.
    I'm not sure whether it will still be a good option if/when I get the vege garden geared up. They have a subscription but I still just buy mine every week.

    ReplyDelete