Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Baking Day

Last night was horrid. We were home late anyway because of the dinner (which was lovely) and then youngest child was up 3 times culminating in a spew over her bed at 5am. :(

So today armed with a very strong coffee I am going to stay home and bake/cook. I've decided that if I'm going to make things from scratch as often as possible then I need to pre-make things when-ever possible. This hopefully will eliminate the temptation of fast food as a quick solution rather than a treat.

Over the long weekend I made pizza bases which are now in the freezer. Although all the recipes I've seen for making your own pizza don't tell you to pre-cook the bases, I've found that giving them 7 or so minutes at 180° before you freeze them means that you don't end up with chewy undercooked dough in the end result.

Today's undertaking is fairly simple; bread in the breadmaker - I'm using the last of a pre-mix we got on special, fruit muffins to use up the overripe fruit in the freezer/fruit bowl, and dinner for tonight. I can't do any bulk meals at the moment as I left my slow cooker bowl behind last night.

A word about bread pre-mixes while I think about it. If you are making your own bread for financial gain make sure you do the maths on the pre-mixes. Often when they are at their standard retail price they don't work out cheaper than buying ready made loaves. But on a good special I find whole-grain pre-mix does work out cheaper than whole grain breads such as Molenberg.

Finally in a brilliant boost to the savings plan my eldest daughter is finally toilet trained! I can't help but smile as I think of all the savings we're making by not buying as many nappies. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment