Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Shopping Day

Last night and today we did the big shop. We had no meat left in the house, one frozen meal, and were out of most of the basics including flour and toilet paper so it was a BIG shop.

The results:
Foodbox $33
Foodtown for non-perishables (and some venison meatballs on clearance) $190
Mad Butcher $102

But let me expand a bit on this. Firstly the Foodtown shop. Ok so it wasn't cheap. We had to buy night nappies for the eldest (Husband is not keen for us to brave the whole night just yet) and many many bits and pieces. But one thing I did notice was how many times I looked at things on special and thought ' what a rip! I could easily make that much more cheaply'. So no I didn't buy the Betty Crocker cake mix on special for around $5 and no, I didn't buy the burrito wraps on special for about $4 (seriously? They're just flour, baking powder, oil and water - go and see Bridie's blog for the recipe).

And the Mad Butcher? - Well this is the list of what I bought:
600gm Blade Steak (Left over from first meal can be frozen for a second one)
9 Chicken Breasts - 9 meals
12 Drumsticks - 2 meals there
18 Chicken Sausages - 3 meals there
750gm premium mince
4 Sirloin steaks - 2 - 3 meals depending on how it's used
1.2kg Pork Spare ribs - 1 meal (a treat because I loooove my spare ribs marinade recipe)

So I figure that while I'm nowhere near my weekly target of $150 if you add it all up for this week, I actually might not be that far off given that I should have enough food (apart from produce) to last for the better part of a month. Anyway we'll see how we go.

Also I thought I'd post a really lovely hummus recipe a friend of mine gave me. It's a nice departure from normal hummus - which you should make yourself at least once (and once you realise how easy it is I'm sure you'll never buy premade stuff again)

Hummus:
1 tin chickpeas
1 clove garlic
1 tsp ground cumin
1 TBSP sweet chilli sauce
1 TBSP lemon juice
A little salt and pepper
1 tsp honey
1 TBSP Tahini (optional but I prefer it)
1/8 cup olive oil - add more if you need to improve spread-ability.

Throw it all in a blender or what have you and blend together.
Done :)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kate - loving the blog :)

    Have you tried freezing hummus? Amy likes it in her lunch box with carrot and capsicum sticks but we don't go through enough of it to use it all up before it goes off. I hate wasting it, either home made or store bought!!

    ReplyDelete